In preparation for this assignment: You have been assigned Beaulieu & Jimenez-Gomez (2022) as a reading this term. This article will guide you through much of this assignment. Here are some concepts to focus on while reading this article:
• What is the difference between cultural awareness, cultural humility, and cultural responsiveness?
• How is this connected to cultural sensitivity?
• How does attribution bias influence the way we judge the actions of other people, particularly when their identity is very different from our own?
• Determine which stage of Priest’s stages of effective multicultural competence you are in with respect:
o Disabled people (you can pick one group of disabled people)
o A racial or ethnic marginalized group of people whose culture is different than yours
o The LGBTQIA+ community (one subgroup on this spectrum that is different than your own)
o At least one of the following: religious groups, current or past socioeconomic status, military status (veteran or currently serving), homeless, immigrant status, etc.
Adapted Priest’s stages of effective multicultural competence.
1. Denial of how cultural differences influence the way behavior analysts provide services.
2. Recognition that differences do exist, but feeling incompetent about what to do about these differences.
3. Identification of many similarities and differences across cultural groups and intersectional identities a person holds.
4. Asking, “Where do I fit into this cultural framework?”
5. Appreciation of differences begins to be developed.
6. Develop respectful methods for engaging with people whose cultural identities are different than your own while acquiring new skills.
Priest, R. (1994). Minority supervisor and majority supervisee: Another perspective of clinical reality. Counselor Education and Supervision, 34(2), 152-158.
For this assignment:
1. Cultural map: There is an adapted cultural genogram or cultural identity map below. It includes questions directly from Beaulieu & Jimenez-Gomez (2022) and from other resources on creating cultural identity maps. Provide answers to at least 20 of the prompts in the cultural map. It is fine if you need to write your responses on a separate page or the page length changes once you input your responses.
2. Reflection: Think about your reaction to all of the questions on the cultural identity genogram. Write a 1-2 page reflection using the prompts below.
a. Was there a reason you picked the items you completed or avoided some of the other prompts? You do not have to justify your decisions or provide details about your decision-making. Simply discuss your positive or negative physiological or cognitive response when your read the options you completed and when you read the options you avoided.
b. Were you surprised by any of your responses? We sometimes are not aware of biases or other thoughts we hold until completing these kinds of tasks.
c. Have you previously considered how your cultural experiences impact the way you provide services to clients?
d. How do you think your learning history (reinforcement and punishment) influences your:
i. Reaction to this activity?
ii. Reaction to this course?
iii. Service delivery to your clients?
e. Where would you describe yourself on the adaption of Priest’s stages of multicultural competence?
f. What resources would best support you in gaining greater cultural competence? We recognize that no one is culturally competent because no one can fully appreciate everyone else’s learning histories/lived experiences, particularly given the wide range of intersectional identities. The goal here is to identify specific supports your instructor might be able to provide your efforts to expand your knowledge and skills with respect to cultural differences in your culture.
How to label this file for submission: Your first initial and last name_cultural identity.doc
Cultural identity genogram/map
Criminology Order #: 564575
“ This is exactly what I needed . Thank you so much.”
Communications and Media Order #: 564566
"Great job, completed quicker than expected. Thank you very much!"
Art Order #: 563708
Thanks a million to the great team.
"Very efficient definitely recommend this site for help getting your assignments to help"