The research aspect of COVID19 during the pandemic has been accelerating at an exponential pace. We have the advantage of initiating, completing and publishing research at a pace greater than that of any previous era of human history. While this is certainly a positive aspect of modern life, it is not without moral challenges.
In this week’s assigned content, we read of two prominent medical journals publishing and subsequently retracting, provocative research regarding COVID-19. You may wish to read these publications (at least the abstract) and subsequent retractions before creating your post.
In your post, please address the following prompts regarding research in the era of COVID19.
What incentives do researchers and publishers have to be “early” to publish data regarding COVID-19? Which of these is internal? Which are external? What is the moral basis of each incentive?
Under what circumstances should data be rushed to publication? Under what circumstances should publication be delayed.
What conflicts of interest arise out of the funding of COVID-19 research?
Who should researchers and publications ultimately be accountable to? The medical community? The government? Their funding organizations? The general public?
Please review the supplementary material within this folder relating to the ethics of medical research.
Read Chapter 19: Research on Human Subjects in Moskop (2016).
Rush to Publish Risks Undermining COVID-19 Research
Release of Data from Unethical Experiments.
The History of Medical Ethics. You will need to register for a free account to access Medscape articles. PLEASE SEE ATTACHED FILE FOR THIS ARTICLE
Lessons Learned from Publicizing and Retracting…with Unethical Implications. Interesting article on the implications of the aftermath of the Wakefield and MMR vaccine article that was retracted in 2010.
Who bears the responsibility for ethical misconduct in scientific research collaborations.
- Describe your experience preparing a set of architectural plans and specifications.
- Describe the barriers or difficulties encountered in completing this Aim.
- Describe the importance of using sub queries in a database system.
- In what ways do you identify with any of the themes of these chapters?
- Do most of us just have it wrong about what happiness and the happy life really is?
- Does a New Facebook Algorithm Only Show You 26 Friends?
- Explain and justify your position to the following question utilizing the up-to-date financial data you found in your research.
- Discuss the components required for effective quality and performance improvement programs in healthcare settings; the role risk management provides; the different triggers or risks that create hazardous outcomes; the tools and techniques you would recommend to assess risk; and what you have learned from the article.
- Discuss the main differences in the industrial relations systems of liberal and coordinated market economies by referring to at least two countries considered in the course.
- Write a discussion paper on Social Sciences
- What are the advantages of globalization to indigenous community in Canada.