Read Chapters two, three, and four of All That She Carried. Complete answers for each question. These should be well-developed and detailed with specific examples from the book. Read Chapters two, three, and four of All That She Carried. Complete answers for each question. These should be well-developed and detailed with specific examples from the book.
Answer the following:
1.Based on Chapter Two and Three, what do we learn about enslaved life in Charleston? (List out specific examples)
2. What do we learn about the enslavers (male and female)? (List out specific examples)
3. On page 84, Miles addresses “paternalism”. How does she explain “paternalism” and the implications for southern social structures?
4. How did Miles use the experiences of Harriet Jacobs and other slave narratives to make reasonable conclusions about Rose’s daily life and activities? Be specific.
5. What do we learn about enslave motherhood in these chapters? What were the “strategies of surviving in the shadowlands” that Miles identified? Use specific examples from these chapters.
6. Chapter three emphasizes the symbolism and power of objects. What does Miles explain about the 1. sack, 2. dress, 3. conjure bags, and 4. hair? Be specific.
7. Why does Miles claim on page 115 that hair was “a medium through which captors and captives fought for corporeal as well as psychological control”?
8. What was “negro cloth”? What were the characteristics? What was the purpose behind this fabric?
9. According to Tiya Miles on page 137, clothing “transmits social messages” and are a “form of social communication”. What did enslaved women’s clothing communicate? enslaved children’s clothing? white women’s clothing?
10. What does your clothing communicate or can you think of a modern example of clothing that communicates? Explain.
11. Why did whites protest blacks wearing high fashion? What did high fashion on enslaved women imply?
12. Many observers of enslaved women commented on their “masculinity”. Why do you think this was emphasized?
Criminology Order #: 564575
“ This is exactly what I needed . Thank you so much.”
Communications and Media Order #: 564566
"Great job, completed quicker than expected. Thank you very much!"
Art Order #: 563708
Thanks a million to the great team.
"Very efficient definitely recommend this site for help getting your assignments to help"