The purpose of the APA 7th Edition paper is to show your understanding of hospital-based in-
patient and outpatient psychiatric care.
You will write a paper detailing how you will assist with the design of a new psychiatric
You will use your Boyd & Luebbert, 7th Edition, textbook to complete this assignment.
Assignment criteria are now aligned with your Boyd & Luebbert textbook, 7th Edition, the new
edition that we are using for the first time this semester. Here is a link to a document listing all
criteria for the assignment, all pages in your textbook you can refer to when completing this
paper, and additional articles and websites you can also use for citations and references. Follow
the criteria to earn maximum points. Use one article that is evidence-based practice nursing
research literature (at least one article) and no older than five years; so published 2018-2022.
NURS 243 Mental Health Nursing Assignment: Assist With Design of a Psychiatric Hospital
Goal: Assist with design of a new psychiatric hospital to meet the inpatient and outpatient needs of the
city of Las Vegas.
1. Identify the need for expanded psychiatric services in Las Vegas
2. Discuss the types of in-patient and outpatient psychiatric services that psychiatric hospitals provide
3. Explain why the community may experience anxiety when a new psychiatric facility is built
4. Identify the role of the treatment team (psychiatrists, psychiatric nurses)
5. Describe the role of the psychiatric nurse in in-patient and outpatient settings
Scenario: It is 2035 and you are Nurse Manager of a psychiatric in-patient unit. For10 years, you have
provided care to in-patient and outpatient psychiatric patients in Las Vegas. You are appointed by the
governor to serve on a committee that will propose and oversee the building of a new psychiatric hospital
in Las Vegas.
phone service. See Boyd & Luebbert, Chapter 22. (write minimum one paragraph)
Heading: Psychiatric Treatments for Mental Illness
1. Discuss two types of treatment for a specific mental illness (you decide which mental illness) that will
be provided by psychiatric nurses on the in-patient units. See Boyd & Luebbert, Chapters 24, 25, 26, 27,
31, 32, 37, 38, 39, 40, and 41. (write minimum one paragraph)
2. Discuss two types of treatment for mental illness that other staff will provide. For example,
Occupational Therapist, Recreational Therapist, Art Therapist, and/or Music Therapist. What will they
provide for in-patient at the psychiatric hospital? (write minimum one paragraph)
See Ramano, J.M., de Beer, M., and Roos, L. (2021). The perceptions of adult psychiatric inpatients with
major depressive disorder towards occupational therapy activity-based groups. South African Journal of
Psychiatry, 28. The perceptions of adult psychiatric inpatients with major depressive disorder towards
occupational therapy activity-based groups – PMC (nih.gov)
See: Menassa, R., (2018). How recreational therapy benefits people with mental illness. iCare Home
Health. Recreational Therapy Programs | Benefits People With Mental Illness (icarehomehealth.ca)
See: Hu, J., Zhang, J., Hu, L., Yu, H., and Xu, J. (2018). Art therapy: A complementary treatment for
mental disorders. Frontiers | Art Therapy: A Complementary Treatment for Mental Disorders
See: Budd, K. (2019). Music therapy in a mental health setting. CHOC. Music therapy in a mental health
setting – CHOC Provider Connection
See: Boyd & Luebbert, Chapter 6, pp. 61-62
Heading: Multidisciplinary Treatment Team
1. Discuss the role of psychiatrists at the psychiatric hospital. (write minimum one paragraph)
See: Hiers, T. (2021). What is a psychiatrist and what do they do? Thriveworks. What Is a Psychiatrist
and What Do They Do? (thriveworks.com)
2. Discuss the role of psychiatric nurses at the psychiatric hospital. (write minimum one paragraph)
See: Boyd & Luebbert, Chapter 6.
See: American Psychiatric Nurses Association (APNA). (2022). Psychiatric-mental health nurse’s role in
primary care. APNA Position Paper. Psychiatric-Mental Health Nurses’ Role in Primary Care | APNA
See: American Psychiatric Nurses Association (APNA). (2022). APNA Position Paper: Psychotherapy
and the Advanced Practice Registered Nurse. APNA Position: Psychotherapy and the Psychiatric-Mental
Health Advanced Practice Registered Nurse Role | APNA
3. Discuss the role of the psychiatric social worker at the psychiatric hospital. (write minimum one
See: Psychology School Guide. (2022). Psychiatric social worker career guide. Psychiatric Social
Worker: Job Descriiption and Education Requirements (psychologyschoolguide.net)
4. Discuss the role of the pharmacist at the psychiatric hospital. (write minimum one paragraph)
See: Stearns, J. (2022). The growing role of psychiatric pharmacists. PSYCOM PRO. Psychiatric
Pharmacists Take on More Mental Health Care Roles (psycom.net)
Heading: Psychiatric Nursing Staffing
1. Discuss the staffing ratio of registered nurses to patients on the in-patient units of the psychiatric
hospital and write your rationale for that ratio. Keep safety as your first priority (write minimum one
2. Discuss the criteria that registered nurses would have to meet in order to be hired to work on the in-
patient psychiatric units and your rationale for that criteria. Will you hire new grads? Will you require a
specific amount of previous years/work experience with psychiatric patients? Will you hire nurses with
Associate Degrees, Baccalaureate Degrees, Psychiatric Advance Nurse Practitioners? Why? What will
you have them do? (write minimum one paragraph).
Heading: Develop and Maintain Good Relationship with Emergency Rooms in Las Vegas
1. Describe one reason why psychiatric nurses at the new hospital will need to develop and maintain good
work relationships with Emergency Room physicians in Las Vegas. Why is this important? (write
minimum one paragraph).
2. Describe one reason why psychiatric nurses at the new hospital will need to develop and maintain good
work relationships with the nursing staff at Emergency Rooms in Las Vegas. Why is this important?
(write minimum one paragraph).
Answer & Explanation
Solved by an expert writer
“ This is exactly what I needed and the confidence that I am heading in the right direction to finish the assignment. Thank you so much.”
"Great job, completed quicker than expected. Thank you very much!"
"Very efficient definitely recommend this site for help getting your assignments to help"