Write an annotated bibliography on Battle, Ken. Child Poverty: The Evolution and Impact of Child Benefits. Children’s Rights in Canada, edited by Katherine Covell and R.Brian Howe, University Press, 2007, 21-44.
Ken Battle draws on a close study of government documents, as well as his own research as an extensively-published policy analyst, to explain Canadian child benefit programs. He outlines some fundamental assumptions supporting the belief that all society members should contribute to the upbringing of children. His comparison of child poverty rates in a number of countries is a useful wake-up to anyone assuming Canadian society is doing a good job of protecting children. Battle pays particular attention to the National Child Benefit (NCB), arguing that it did not deserve to be criticized by politicians and journalists. He outlines the NCBs development, costs, and benefits, and laments that the Conservative government scaled it back in favor of the inferior Universal Child Care Benefit (UCCB). However, he relies too heavily on his own work; he is the sole or primary author of almost half the sources in his bibliography. He could make this work stronger by drawing from others’ perspectives and analyses. However, Battle does offer a valuable source for this essay, because the chapter provides a concise overview of government-funded assistance currently available to parents. This offers context for analyzing the scope and financial reality of child poverty in Canada.
Please also answer the following questions for each source:
– How accurate and reliable is your source? Is it reliable, sufficient, and relevant? What is the purpose of the publication or website? (Is it to sell a product? To inform? To shape opinion about an issue or cause? Is it a corporation, an organization, or a government agency?)
– How does the authors viewpoint affect the presentation of information and opinion? What are the authors allegiances? Does the author treat one side of an issue more favorably than another? Is the author’s bias hidden or stated?
– How useful will the information in the source be for your paper?
- Discuss an example where optimal (or improved) organization design resulted in greater functional effectiveness and productivity of an organization.
- Explain your understanding of hypothesis testing and the Type 1 and Type 2 errors.
- Looking more specifically at slope, what are two ways it can be applied in the workplace or
- Consider how you feel about the following issues: Respecting the wishes of a suffering client that he is permitted to die with dignity
- What is your vision for the future of nursing?
- How can science fiction stories like Binti relate to our current climate?
- Write a Briefing Paper describing the formal organization of the adopted agency.
- What measure of central tendency is most appropriate for describing this set of data and why?
- Consider the ideas of liberty and equality expressed in the Declaration of Independence and the preamble to the US constitution. Evaluate the work of the work of the reconstruction era to apply these principles.
- How could nurses make a profound impact on the care of this vulnerable population?
- Discuss “the danger of playing it safe” by Wendy kaminer.