exual trauma is different for each individual who survives it. Some individuals experience trauma as children, whereas others are adult survivors. Some clients may be very communicative about their trauma, while others may have difficulty talking about it at all. Helping professionals who work with traumatic sexual abuse survivors must take these individual differences into consideration as they choose and implement interventions.
Consider the following case study and identify intervention strategies appropriate for your role and responsibilities as a helping professional.
The Case of Beth and Don
Beth has been married to Don for 3 years. Beth and Don are seeking couples counseling because the couple wants to start to try to have children, but their lack of sexual relationship threatens to make that an impossible dream. Beth and Don admit that they have never consummated their relationship.
Don has known since early in the couples dating relationship that Beth was raped by a stranger about 6 months before they started dating. Since that time, she has been unable to even think about having sex without having a panic attack and crying. Beth appreciates that Don has been extremely patient and understanding as she has undergone extensive therapy to work on her posttraumatic stress disorder (diagnosed by her individual psychotherapist). However, she admits that she is afraid that he will leave her because she is not willing to have sex with him right now.
Beth and Don both make clear that having children is an important goal of theirs. Beth says, I have always wanted to be a mother. I know that having sex is a necessary step to making that happen. Its killing me that Ive still not been able to have sex with Don. I just want to get over this once and for all and be able to have sex like a normal couple and have kids, too.
1. Post an analysis of how Beths traumatic sexual history may be impacting her marriage.
a. Identify an intervention that you would choose to assist Beth and Don.
b.. In your rationale, discuss the underlying theory of the intervention and how it will address the couples intimacy problem
1. Discussion posting fully addresses all instruction prompts, including responding to the required number of peer posts.
2. Discussion posting demonstrates an excellent understanding of all of the concepts and key points presented in the text(s) and Learning Resources. Posting provides significant detail including multiple relevant examples, evidence from the readings and other scholarly sources, and discerning ideas.
- Writer’s Choice (based on any open database you can find on the link in the instructions)
- Analyze the importance of data management, knowledge management, and business analytics to business organizations.
- Write a paper: Accounting and Financial Reporting
- Ruby Whiteboarding
- Business Plan
- he Evolution and future role of forensic accounting in detecting and preventing corporate frauds
- Types of Inflation and the Social Implications
- Based on the information in the Interactive: Henry and Ertha Williams, answer the following for the discussion post this week. Groups will be assigned by the instructor.
- Sociological imagination Essay introduction and planning
- Infographic study
- Energy Drink Sales Variables